admin: First posted on 2016 11 11
Orinj is our software for recording and mixing, with multitrack sessions, wave and MIDI editing, drum loop creation, DSP effects, and so on, and so on. We have now released the beta 3.0.0 version of Orinj. It is available for free download, with some minor limitations as described below.
Notable changes from version 2
The following are the main differences between version 3 and version 2 of Orinj.
- Orinj version 3 allows MIDI files in the multitrack session, in addition to wave files. The multitrack session in Orinj version 2 can use only wave files.
- In version 3, wave playback and MIDI playback are synchronized. This was not so in version 2, where the user could play a wave and a MIDI file together, but one of these playback signals would usually be delayed.
- All DSP effects in version 3 use the same coding framework. They are independent of the main Orinj application. This means that other programmers can develop and add effects to Orinj and can do so without new Orinj versions and installations. Orinj DSP effects are basically plug and play. The Orinj effect framework is explained here. The actual code for an example effect is also provided.
- There are two new effects in version 3. The multitap delay is a beautiful effect that can create cascading repetitions of the original signal. The distortion allows some flexibility in choosing distortion threshold and warmth.
- Certain effects have additional functionality in version 3. For example, equalizers will now show actual equalization in addition to desired equalization. The choruses have additional gain controls. Compressors can be forward looking.
- There are additional preferences in Orinj version 3, such as for the number and size of MIDI buffers and for the use of 16-bit data in 24- and 32-bit recording and playback.
- Orinj allows languages. Additional languages can be developed without new versions and installations. Orinj languages are explained here.
- Orinj has several new skins.
Improvements with the testing of version 3
We made a few improvements to version 2, while testing version 3. The result was several consecutive releases of Orinj – from version 2.5.0 to version 2.6.4. The improvements were as follows.
- We allowed the user to delay recording with a timer, to prepare between the time the recording button is clicked and the time recording starts.
- We optimized playback, mixing, and effects, so that Orinj uses less computational and memory resources.
- We revised the presets for most effects to produce more exciting sound. We also changed the controls of some effects (such as the precision controls in the equalizers), so that they are more intuitive and easier to use.
- We added error checks on user input, so that the user is notified of potentially wrong parameters for effects, track control panels, and other parts of Orinj.
- We overhauled the Orinj help and posted this help to our Wiki.
- We overhauled undo functionality, so that it is specific per the four views of Orinj.
- Of course, we corrected bugs and compiled against new Java versions. You can read about these in our forum.
Licensing / Free versions
Orinj version 3 will continue to be free for the most part. Version 2 was fully free. All functionality that was in Orinj version 2 exists in Orinj version 3 and remains free. While Orinj version 3 technically uses licenses, there are only two things that will require a license: 1) the use of MIDI files in the multitrack session; and 2) the two new effects: the multitap delay and the distortion.
We will thus discontinue support for Orinj version 2 at some point in the future. You can download version 3 and install it. This version will be able to open and work with sessions created under version 2.
Enjoy the new version of Orinj!